A degree in Political Science can help you launch a career in a wide variety of fields such as civil service, federal/provincial/local government, international agencies such as the United Nations, business, journalism, broadcasting, public relations, policy analysis, market research, interest/lobby groups, law, and education.
A degree in Political Science will develop your critical thinking and problem solving abilities, skills that will help you to accurately assess ideas and construct answers to complex theoretical questions by developing logical arguments based on empirical evidence. These are the skills employers seek in the 21st century economy.
Careers Among Graduates of the Undergraduate Program in Political Science:
- Private sector, Government, Non-profit sector
- Public Administration programs, Management training
- Public relations
- International careers (i.e., United Nations, Non-Governmental Organizations)
- Continue on to Professional or Graduate Studies (Law School, Graduate programs in Political Science)
For more information see the publication: "What Can I Do With a Degree in Political Science?".
Available Resources for Students:
The Student Success Centre
The Student Success Centre at Western can facilitate the development of career, educational, and life competencies for students and alumni through programs and services that guide successful transitions, foster local and global citizenship, promote leadership opportunities, encourage personal growth, deliver career resources, and ignite active engagement.
They offer job postings, classes and workshops, a drop-in Employment Help and Resource Centre, career and education fairs, employer information sessions, experiential learning opportunities, a resource library, and individual counselling and career assessments.
Working at Western – Employment Opportunities
On Working at Western you will find:
- Opportunities for research personnel, undergraduate, and summer students within Political Science
- Staff positions (part-time and full-time)
- Faculty positions (part-time)
- Working at Western opportunities have expanded to include online applications for Limited Duties appointments
Office of Faculty Relations
The Office of Faculty Relations lists Academic Positions available for Full-time, Administrative, Clinical, or Course Authoring opportunities listed by Faculty, including Social Science.