PhD, Duke University
Telephone: 519.661.2111 ext. 85164
Office: Social Science Centre 4228
Professor Stephenson specializes in political behaviour, both Canadian and comparative. Her research is focused on understanding how institutions and context influence attitudes, electoral preferences and engagement with politics.
- Forthcoming 2019: Provincial Battles, National Prize? Elections in a Federal State, with Andrea Lawlor, William P. Cross, André Blais and Elisabeth Gidengil. (Montreal and Kingston: McGill-Queen’s University Press).
- 2018: André Blais, John H. Aldrich and Laura B. Stephenson, eds. 2018: The Many Faces of Strategic Voting, co-edited with André Blais and John H. (Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press).
- 2015: Fighting for Votes: Parties, the Media, and Voters in an Ontario Election, with William P. Cross, Jonathan Malloy and Tamara A. Small (Vancouver: UBC Press).
- 2010: Voting Behaviour in Canada, co-edited with Cameron D. Anderson (Vancouver: UBC Press).
Refereed Journal Articles
- Forthcoming: “The Qualifying Field Exam: What is it good for?” (with Nicole McMahon and Christopher Alcantara) PS: Political Science & Politics.
- 2018: “When the Team’s Jersey is What Matters: Network Analysis of Party Cohesion and Structure in the Canadian House of Commons.” (with David Chartash, Nicolas J. Caruana and Markus Dickinson) Party Politics.
- 2018: “His main platform is 'stop the turbines!'": Political discourse, partisanship and local support for wind energy in Canada.” (with Chad Walker and Jamie Baxter) Energy Policy 2018, 123: 670-681.
- 2018: "Mobilizing the Young: The Role of Social Networks." (with Cameron D. Anderson) Canadian Journal of Political Science. Published online.
- 2018: "Voting "Ford" or Against: Understanding Strategic Voting in the 2014 Toronto Municipal Election." (with Nicholas Caruana, R. Michael McGregor, Aaron A. Moore) Social Science Quarterly, 99(1): 231-245.
- 2017: "Why So Few Women and Minorities in Local Politics?: Incumbency and Affinity Voting in Low Information Elections." (with Michael McGregor, Aaron Moore, Samantha Jackson, Karen Bird) Representation, 53(2): 135-152.
- 2017: "How to survey about electoral turnout? The efficacy of the face-saving response items in 19 different contexts." (with Alexandre Morin Chassé, Damien Bol, Simon Labbé St-Vincent) Political Science Research and Methods, 5(3): 575-584.
- 2017: "Planning for the Future: Methodology Training in Canadian Universities." (with Michelle L. Dion) Canadian Journal of Political Science, 50(1): 281-294.
- 2017: "Votes for Women: Electoral Systems and Support for Female Candidates." (with Sona N. Golder, Karine Van der Straeten, André Blais, Damien Bol, Philipp Harfst and Jean-François Laslier) Politics & Gender, 13(1): 107-131.
- 2017: "Paying Attention and the Incumbency Effect: Voting Behaviour in the 2014 Toronto Municipal Election." (with Aaron A. Moore, R. Michael McGregor) International Political Science Review, 38(1): 85-98.
- 2017: "Economic Voting and Multi-Level Governance: The Case of Toronto." (with Cameron Anderson, R. Michael McGregor, Aaron A. Moore) Urban Affairs Review, 53(1): 71-101.
- 2016: "Addressing Europe’s democratic deficit: An experimental evaluation of the pan-European district proposal." (with Damien Bol, Philipp Harfst, André Blais, Sona N Golder, Jean-François Laslier, Karine Van der Straeten) European Union Politics, 17(4): 525-545.
- 2016: "Sex (And Ethnicity) in the City: Affinity Voting in the 2014 Toronto Mayoral Election." (with Karen Bird, Samantha D. Jackson, R. Michael McGregor, Aaron A. Moore) Canadian Journal of Political Science. 49(2): 359-383.
- 2016: "Political Attitudes and Behaviour in a Non-Partisan Environment: Toronto 2014." (with Michael McGregor and Aaron A. Moore) Canadian Journal of Political Science, 49(2): 311–333.
- 2015: "Negative Partisanship in a Multi-Party System: The Case of Canada." (with R. Michael McGregor and Nicholas Caruana) Journal of Elections, Public Opinion and Parties. 25(3): 300-316, DOI:10.1080/17457289.2014.997239.
- 2015: "The EuroVotePlus experiment." (with Jean-François Laslier, André Blais, Damien Bol, Sona N. Golder, Philip Harft and Karine Van der Straeten) European Union Politics, published online 2015, DOI:10.1177/1465116515580180.
- 2015: "The Power of the Dark Side: Negative Partisanship and Political Behaviour in Canada." (with Nicholas Caruana and R. Michael McGregor) Canadian Journal of Political Science, 48(4): 771-789.
- 2018: "Sins of the Brother: Partisanship and Accountability in Toronto, 2014." (with R. Michael McGregor and Aaron A. Moore) In Accountability and Responsiveness at the Municipal Level: Views from Canada, ed. Sandra Breux and Jérôme Couture. McGill-Queen’s University Press.
- 2017: "The Conservative Turn Among the Canadian Electorate.”"(with Éric Bélanger) In The Blueprint: Conservative parties and their impact on Canadian politics, ed. J.P. Lewis and Joanna Everitt. University of Toronto Press, pp. 46-77.
- 2016: "Deciding Correctly: Variance in the Effective Use of Party Cues." (with Jennifer L. Merolla, and Elizabeth J. Zechmeister) In Voting Experiments, ed. André Blais, Jean-François Laslier and Karine Van der Straeten, Springer International Publishing, pp. 19-42.