Director, Local Government Program
PhD, Western University
Telephone: 519.661.2111 ext. 85168
Office: Social Science Centre 4162
- 2020. Zachary Spicer, Joseph Lyons, and Kate Graham. Local Government in Practice: Cases in Governance, Planning, and Policy. Toronto: Emond.
Refereed Journal Articles
- 2016. “The Independence of Ontario’s Public Health Units: Does Governing Structure Matter?” Healthcare Policy. 12(1): 71-83.
- 2015. "Local Government Structure and the Co-ordination of Economic Development Policy." Canadian Journal of Political Science.48(1): 173-193.
- 2015. "Conservation Authority Board Composition and Watershed Management in Ontario." Canadian Public Administration. 58(2): 315-332.
- 2021. “The Democratic Dimensions of Specialized Governments.” In What is Democracy and How do we Study it?, edited by Cameron Anderson and Laura Stephenson, 145-166. Toronto: U of T Press.
- 2018. Joseph Lyons and Zachary Spicer. “Accountability and Local Collaborative Governance.” In Accountability and Responsiveness at the Municipal Level: Views from Canada, edited Sandra Breux and Jérôme Couture, 177-199. Montreal & Kingston: MQUP.
- 2021. Zachary Spicer and Joseph Lyons. “The Transition to Digital Meetings in Middlesex County.” Policy Ready Digital Government Case Study Series.
- 2020. Zachary Spicer, Joseph Lyons, and Kate Graham. “Banning Single-Use Plastics.” In An Introduction to Environmental Law and Policy in Canada, 3rd edition, edited by Paul Muldoon et al., 307-309. Toronto: Emond.
- 2020. Zachary Spicer and Joseph Lyons. “The Ingredients for Innovation in Small Town Ontario: Leadership and Culture.” Policy Ready Digital Government Case Study Series.
- 2020. Zachary Spicer, Joseph Lyons, and Kate Graham. “Water Fluoridation and Evidence-Based Policy-Making.” In An Introduction to Environmental Law and Policy in Canada, 3rd edition, edited by Paul Muldoon et al., 304-306. Toronto: Emond.
Recent Conference/Lectures/Seminar Presentations
- 2021: “A Window of Opportunity for Digital Transformation: COVID19, IT & the Modernization of Local Government in Ontario.” Municipal Information Systems Ontario Annual Conference (online, June 3) and the Canadian Association of Programs in Public Administration Annual Conference (online, Research Exchange, June 7).
- 2021: “Sustainable Utility Leadership.” Moderator for Canadian Water and Wastewater Association’s National Conference Closing Plenary (online). March 22.
- 2018. “Ontario Municipal Elections 2018: Enhancing Local Democracy.” University of Guelph, Department of Political Science Speaker Series. October 15.
- 2017. “Public Health Governance as a Determinant of Health” (Panel Presentation). The Ontario Public Health Conference, Toronto, ON. March 30.
- 2014. "Watershed Management in Ontario: Does Conservation Authority Board Composition Affect Responsiveness?" Gerald R. Ford School of Public Policy, University of Michigan. February 11.
- 2013. "Conservation Authority Board Composition and Policy Implementation." Canadian Political Science Association Conference, Victoria, B.C., June 6.