Assistant Professor & Director, IR Program
PhD, McMaster University
Telephone: 519.661.2111 ext. 85114
Office: Social Science Centre 4084
Research InterestsProfessor Bousfield researches social movements, protest and critical political economy, with an emphasis on psychoanalysis, gender, technology, pedagogy and resistance.
Current Research Projects
Current research areas include: intersections between cyber security and indigeneity in Canadian Arctic security; assessing queer sensibilities in Canadian Foreign Policy and practice; implications of Speculative Realism on framing contemporary critiques of capitalism.
Refereed Journal Articles
- 2013 ‘Canadian Foreign Policy in an Era of New Constitutionalism’ American Review of Canadian Studies, Volume 43, Issue 3: 394-412.
- 2012 ‘Transforming an International Organization: Norm Confusion and the International Olympic Committee’ with Jean Michel Montsion. Sport in Society, Vol 15, Issue 6.
- 2011. ‘The "False Choice" of Liberal Democracy: Participatory Assessment in the International Relations Classroom’ International Studies Perspectives, Volume 12, Issue 3, August. p 294-307.
- 2005 ‘The Logic of Sovereignty and the Agency of the Refugee: Recovering the Political from ‘Bare Life’’ YCISS Working Paper No. 36, October.
- 2003 ‘Imperialism in East Asia: A Response to Burkett and Hart-Landsberg’ Historical Materialism (Brill Publishing: London, U.K.) Volume 11, No. 1, May. p.147-160.
- 2001 ‘Review of: Development, Crises and Class Struggle: Learning from Japan and East Asia’ Historical Materialism, (Brill Publishing: London, UK.) Volume 8, Summer. p.433-442.
- 2013 ‘Fighting the Power? Struggle and Resistance in "Capital as Power"’ in The Capitalist Mode of Power: Critical Engagements with the Power Theory of Value. Ed Tim DiMuzio, University of Wollongong. Routledge, RIPE Series in Global Political Economy.
Recent Conference Presentations
- 2015: "Posthuman Markets: Regulation and Ideology in High Frequency Trading" New Directions in IPE conference, Warwick, May.
- 2015: "Theorizing the Cyber Gateway" International Studies Association Annual Convention, New Orleans, February.
- 2014: "Cyber Diplomacy in Asia: Alternative Visions of Cyber Security" International Political Science Association, Montreal, July.
- 2014: "Decolonizing the Canadian Internet: Challenging Nationalist Visions of Cyber Securtiy" International Studies Association Annual Convention, Toronto.
- 2014: "Queering Canadian Foreign Policy" International Studies Association Annual Convention, Toronto.
- 2013: “Canadian Cyber Diplomacies: The Challenges of Virtual Identities in Canada” Encounters in Canada Conference. May 15-17. Toronto.
- 2013: “Indigenous Cyber Diplomacies: Rethinking Boundaries of Sovereignty Online” International Studies Association Annual Convention, San Francisco.
- 2013: “Differential Struggles? Conceptualizing Global Resistance in Capital as Power” International Studies Association Annual Convention, San Francisco.
- 2012: “The Generative Power of the Corporation: Developing in the Virtual Economy” 3rd Annual Forum on Capital as Power, York University. September 28-20.
- 2012: “Theorizing ‘Virtual’ Economic Development: Laboring in the Virtual Economy” International Studies Association Annual Convention, April 1-4.
- 2012: “The Monstrous Character of the Tar Sands: Abjection and Nationalism in Canadian Identity” International Studies Association Annual Convention, April 1-4.
- 2012: “Occupying Education: Learning From Protest.” Invited Lecture, Canada International Council. McMaster University, January 24.
- 2011: “Beyond Humanitarianism: A Gramscian Approach to Canadian Foreign Policy” International Studies Association Annual Convention, March 16-19. Montreal.
- 2011: “The International Relations of Social Networking: Memes, YouTube and Going Viral” International Studies Association Annual Convention, March 16-19. Montreal
- 2010: “Stop Resisting: The Politics and Ethics of ‘Going Viral’” Popular Culture and World Politics III. York Centre for Security Studies November 4-5.
- 2010: “The ‘False Choice’ of Liberal Democracy: Participatory Assessment in the IR Classroom” International Studies Association Annual Convention February 17-20.
- 2010: “Phantasy and Crisis: the Role of Belief in Economic Stimulus” International Studies Association Annual Convention February 17-20.
- 2010: “Norm Confusion and the Olympic Movement” Co-author with Jean Michel Montsion and discussant for “International Relations and Sport: Critical Interventions on Olympic Issues”. International Studies Association Annual Convention February 17-20.
- 2009: “Fighting the Power? Struggle and Resistance in ‘Capital as Power’” Rethinking Marxism, University of Massachusetts Amherst, November 5-8.
- 2009: “Methods of Struggle or Struggling Methods: Academic Depictions of International Protest” Canadian Political Science Association. Carleton University, Ottawa. May 27-29.
- 2009: “The Diplomacies of Ultimate Fighting: Resurgent Masculinities of Global Militancy” International Studies Association. 50th Annual Convention. New York. February 15.
- 2008: "Enacting Anti-Capitalism: Traversing Masculinities of Protest in Korea" International Studies Association. 49th Annual Convention. March 26, San Francisco, California.
- 2006: “‘Primitive Accumulation’, Reification and Resistance: Rethinking the Inter-national at the Margins of World Order”. International Studies Association. 47th Annual Convention. March 22-25, San Diego, California.
- 2006: “From the Clinic to the Streets: Lacanian Ethics and Sites of the Inter-national” International Studies Association. 47th Annual Convention. March 22-25, San Diego, California.
Awards and Distinctions
- 2011-2012 USC Teaching Honour Roll Award of Excellence
- 2012-2013 Nominated for USC Teaching Award
- 2010-2011 USC Teaching Honour Roll Award of Excellence
- 2010-2011 Nominated for USC Teaching Award